Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Speak with BOLDNESS.

If I could learn to open my mouth without fear of what other people will think or how my words will be taken, I'd be a much happier person. For one, I'd have way less regrets about points I could have made and I would save myself a lot of trouble by not having to glare at the person who gives the answer I was about to give in class. . . if I had only worked up the courage to say it first.
Unfortunately, this crippling struggle to just speak up isn't a plague only in the academic aspect of my life. It's one in all other aspects, though it is one that is improving as of late. It's something I've always had to work at and probably always will, no matter how much it improves. Well, not surprisingly, when our leaders for Romania prayed over us all before the trip this summer, the word that all got for me was boldness. I took that as my first cue to step up and make a difference instead of waiting on boldness to smack me in the face one day and become something I'm super awesome at (like, say, the way I'm awesome at fort building and being ridiculously wordy when writing). 
This week I've really been starting the first preparations for Thailand. I wrote my support letter, got about 20 of them sent out, and starting coming up with fund raising ideas. I've also started praying over the trip, for the team, support, people we'll be working with, and the entire preparation process. Today, while I was praying in the coffee shop near campus, I started to read in Acts 4. 
You know those nifty little headers above parts of Scripture? They like to speak to me. At the end of Acts 4, I came across a section titled "The Believers Pray for Boldness". 

" 'And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to speak your word with BOLDNESS, while you stretch out your hand to heal and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your Holy servant Jesus,'
- Acts 4:29-30 (ESV) 

It doesn't get anymore blunt than that. 
"BOLDNESS" has been added to the Thailand wall on the wall above my bed, where I'm putting verses and words and such things related to the trip, because the thing that will be most required of me during the two months we are there is, in fact, BOLDNESS. BOLDNESS to step out and share, to show Christ's love unconditionally, and to even be going on this trip at all. BOLDNESS in speech, BOLDNESS in acts, and BOLDNESS in faith.
My entire life needs to become the embodiment of BOLDNESS in my actions and beliefs, no longer holding onto expectations or comforts, but walking out the example Christ laid for us all and proclaiming His love for the His children all over the world with BOLDNESS

The change begins now, starting with situations a lot closer to home than Thailand. 


Code Red Intake: 5 (I'm studying hardcore this week)
Days Until Thailand: 233

No comments: