Monday, October 4, 2010

Eighteen and legal.

Exactly eighteen years ago, the world was introduced to the squirming, fuzzy headed being that was and and still is Sarah Arant. I was born with so much hair the nurses could literally tie a bow in it, and this lions mane would continually be the bane of my existence, from the time when I was a month old and mistaken for a monkey* until the time I would learn to tame it in high school. I'm still convinced that people should call it "Sarah Arant hair" not "Hermione Granger hair". Legit. It was huge. 

I'm eighteen. 18. I've been alive and breathing and living and experiencing and antagonizing the human race for eighteen years. I can vote. I can sign my own papers (or more accurately, sign up for Psychology experiments to complete the required credits). I can buy lottery tickets and cigarettes. I can join the army. 
I'm an adult, legally. 
But I don't really feel any older. I still feel like I am a little kid, but when I step back and look at my life right now, I realize I'm far from a kid. I'm an adult. 

The eighteen years I've had so far have been incredibly crazy. I thought about listing the 18 biggest things I've learned, or the 18 best things about the past year, or something else cutesy like that, but I already did my nausea inducing list of people I appreciate, so I decided against the cutesy birthday list. Instead, I'll tell you this: My life is just beginning, and I know I am in for an adventure. In the coming year, I have everything from finishing my first year of college to two months in Thailand to anything and everything else life can throw at me. And I'm ready. I'm ready to celebrate the eighteen wonderful, challenging years I've been given and prepare to embrace the coming years and all that God has in store for me, because He is just beginning to unfold the adventures before me. 

So basically, I'm eighteen and ready to (continue to) rock the world. 
Or, as my friend Charis just pointed out via text message, "YOU'LL BE 19 IN LESS THAN A YEAR!" 


Code Red Intake: 4
Days Until Thailand: 242  

*True story. When I was a month old, my mom took me in for a check up. I was wrapped up in my car seat, because it was November and I was the first child in my family, and a girl who was probably 4 ran up and screamed "LOOK MOM! IT'S A MONKEY!!!". This is still a story told around my house on a regular basis. 

No comments: