Monday, September 20, 2010

In which I am a stray puppy.

I don't know if you guys are aware, but without my awesome Savior, my life would be a hot mess. With that in mind, let us begin the tale of the kicked puppy. . . 

This past weekend has been more insane than I could ever explain. I had a paper to write, a play to read, a Psych exam to study for, and a Bible study meeting to have with my best friend. I spent the night with my grandparents Saturday night, and came back early Sunday morning all stressed about studying, unshowered, and ready to go into full out recluse mode until my paper was done. Well, this plan was changed when I found my roommate in bed with her boyfriend after I've expressed my discomfort with him being here overnight. Logically, I did the thing that all sane and responsible people would do . . . went outside, made a phone call, and cried. 
There I was, looking like a kicked puppy, unshowered with my hair in a pony tale, wearing my Evergreen t shirt and jeans, sitting under a tree full of squirrels, crying at 9AM on a Sunday morning. A girl passed me going into the dorm, and I know I looked ridiculous, but I was tired and uncomfortable and ready to just give up. I didn't know what to do. 
Five minutes later, I look up, and that same girl from earlier is coming towards me. She asks if I'm okay, and after denying my problems the first time around, I finally told her my situation. She invited me to her room and I sat on her bed letting my tears dry as she did her make up. She told me that she was going to church with a friend, and her other friend was supposed to go with her but bailed at last minute, so they had room in the car if I wanted to go. 
Basically, the next thing I know I'm at church (still unshowered, mind you) with these girls I just met, singing "Lead Me To The Cross" in a highly needed moment of worship. And I realized right then just what was happening; God was using my worst nightmare* to bless me beyond all imagination. Bethany (the girl who invited me to her room) offered to let me study in her room and use the shower on her floor, and went with me to get stuff out of my room so I wouldn't have to face my roommate and her boyfriend alone. Before we went down, Bethany asked if I wanted to pray beforehand, so we went in her room and prayed over the situation before actually facing it. 
Next thing I know, I have friends. I stayed the night with Bethany and her roommate Taylor, and they took me in like a stray puppy. I ate dinner with them and their friends, and met the guys on their hall. Tonight I went to a dance class ("Two words, one letter; Move N Groove") with them and realized how out of shape I am. 


I've had an incredibly stressful weekend between school work, the roommate situation, and other things that would be inappropriate to share with the blogging world. Coming back Sunday morning and walking into what I walked into, that was my breaking point. And right in my moment of complete weakness (I never EVER cry in public. I just don't.) God swept in by speaking to a random girl who lives a floor below me, and she chose to answer His voice despite how incredibly awkward it can be to approach that weird, dirty girl who is crying at a picnic table under a tree full of squirrels. I clearly see Him working through this entire situation, and not only did He provide me with a place to stay and a person to lean on during this, He provided me with friends. And they are all incredibly awesome, hilarious people that I love having the chance to get to know and live just one floor above. 
Our Creator never creases to amaze me at how He works through the worst situations and gets us at our breaking point. He speaks to us and cares for us and never leaves us when we are hurting or broken and in need of His love. He hears our calls and answers our prayers, even if it isn't in ways we expect. I don't know about you, but I think He is kind of fantastic. 


(I've decided to keep count of how many Code Red Mountain Dews I drink from here on out. The count starts today.) Code Red intake: 1
Days until my birthday: 13

1 comment:

Charis Alexandra said...

I love how God can take a small situation the devil meant for harm, and turn it into something that is WAY better than you think it could be. He's just kind of awesome that way. YAY FRIENDS!