Friday, August 13, 2010

Make yourself useless!

My mom has already started my siblings back to school, which feels really weird since I'm not in high school and home schooling anymore. Going downstairs in the morning and eating breakfast knowing that the 9AM rule of complete readiness doesn't apply to me anymore and watching them pull out work books is just strange. Today I sat down at the dining room table while mom did a math sheet with Anna (My 9 year old sister) and Rachel (My 7 year old sister) worked through her spelling words. Still unbathed and finishing my morning cup of chai (which I had to make with almond milk instead of soy milk, and it turned out pretty decent!), I just sat and listening to them work while debating how much I felt like showering today. Rachel had a sheet of her handwriting next to her, which was done on lined paper with a picture to color on it. Mom suggested to her that I color the picture since I didn't have school work to do, so Rachel contemplated this for a minute and then silently got up and went to her box of pencils and pens. She then approached my seat, put the paper down in front of me, and slammed down a fist full of crayons and growled, "There! MAKE YOURSELF USELESS!" 

So this morning I colored a picture of Noah's ark and "made myself useless". My reward was 5 pennies, a hot pink balloon sticker, and an A+. Apparently I'm on the road to academic success and I haven't even gotten to college yet! 

No comments: